Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Why I Love to Cook

Hi All! And by "All" I'm guessing I mean 3 members of my family, 2 friends and a couple of people in eastern Europe who are just really really bored. So this is my very first post on my shiny new blog, Common Cents on a Plate. Since these blog doodads are all the rage today and the kids are just gaga over them I figured it was high time I tried it out. Since my theory is that cooking = healthy, I thought I'd make my very first post about why I love to cook so much. While many of my problems did stem from consuming a lot of processed garbage, my family did, at least a couple nights a week, cook a meal more or less from scratch so I did grow up with an appreciation for genuinely homemade meals. However, it wasn't really until the Foodnetwork era that I really began to see cooking as an art form. I've never been much of an artist but cooking just seemed like an aesthetic I could get on board with. So, after leaving the nest and getting a place of my own I began in small ways to discover the "Joy of Cooking" as Julia would say. At the end of a long day I look forward to coming home and transforming a few fresh ingredients into a tasty meal. Some people read, some people take bubble baths, some people have yoga. My stress is released while I heat olive oil and crush fresh garlic, letting it sizzle and pop in the pan. At least three nights a week the sun sets on garlic and onions and olive oil in my house. It smells like home and it tastes like heaven no matter what you add next. I read an article once (where I can't remember) that said studies show rhythmic motions help to calm the nerves. Chopping, peeling, mashing, grating, slicing and stirring all sort of blend into a bit of a dance, a ritual that marks the end of the work day and the beginning of my evening. Pulling the cardboard zip seal off a box of frozen chicken does NOT serve the same purpose. Now, I know moms and dads out there are rolling their eyes and scoffing at my single-statused naivete. "How can I possibly add this to my already insane routine?" you ask, arms flung in defeat. My opinion is this; relaxed parents are better parents. Healthy kids are happier kids. Every moment is a learning opportunity. So, while you cook, ask the kids about their day or help them with their homework or do whatever it is families do in the evening. Work it into your routine. As a single person, I cook for one but sometimes my roommates are in the kitchen and we talk about boyfriends and careers and hopes and dreams and whether or not we should wear the red pumps on Friday. This is an important part of my day. It's therapeutic to chat and laugh and vent about the stressful parts of life. Microwaving a Lean Cuisine and plopping myself in front of the tv doesn't seem to create the same conversational opportunities. For all those with kitchen phobias, some consolation. When you were learning how to ride a bike, you fell off a few times before you got the hang of it. The same is true for learning how to cook. Chances are you'll drop, burn, overseason or undercook something along the way. If it's inedible, throw it out, call the pizza delivery guy and remember your mistake the next time. Once you get the hang of it you'll be glad you did.

No comments:

Post a Comment